Tuesday 11 February 2014

A range of tributes to Ali

Ali at home in the garden in July 1999
A number of individuals and organisations from around the world made tributes to Ali, commenting on the work she did principally to defend human life, and also on her notable personal virtues.

From New Zealand, Michelle Kaufman wrote:
The world has been blessed to have such a dedicated, inspiring woman walk amongst us.  Her life, I am sure, will continue to inspire, continue to encourage and continue to be a voice for the most vulnerable in our society today  the weak, the disabled, the unborn and those whose lives are deemed “unworthy of living”.
The Welsh blogger Rhoslyn Thomas described Ali as "an amazing woman" who "defended the weakest of the weak and made it her life's work to do so."

She continued:
Alison was so kind and she regularly helped me when I was struggling with some essay that I was writing about abortion or anything with my studies. I remember when I was sitting my final exams for university last year, she kept telling me that she was offering up her pain for my success. She was really wonderful and I don’t know what we will do without her…except pray to her!
Paul Russell recalled a lecture tour given by Ali in Australia some years ago and "especially her passion for life."

From Canada, Paul Tuns wrote appreciatively:
The pro-life movement and the disabilities community has fortunate to have Davis for the extended period after her fortunately failed suicide attempt; she was a powerful and much-needed voice for those with disabilities in combating the Culture of Death. 
The Sisters of the Gospel of Life in Scotland added their tribute:
Her life was full of faith after her conversion to Catholicism and her words were full of witness.  To hear her speak of her life, which had been one of pain and suffering as well as joy and love, was a privilege. 
On a more personal note Alison was a modest, witty, generous person whose light shone so brightly.  That light has gone from this earth with her death,  but with God she will shine even more brightly,  we are sure.
Other appreciative tributes came from the US group Not Dead Yet and well-respected English priests Fr Tim Finigan and Fr Ray Blake.  Fr Blake went out of his way to be present on the evening of Thursday 12 December and concelebrated Mass after Ali's body was received into the Church.  He repeated some extraordinary things that were said about Ali on that night, about which I intend to say much more in due course.

On several news sites and blogs readers made comments expressing their appreciation of Ali. Some readers knew her well, others didn't know her at all.  I was especially struck by the comment left in response to the obituary in the Catholic Herald by a reader, Paul Priest, who is not personally known to me and I do not think Ali knew him. He wrote:
The best of us: 
That lone voice who 'recalled to life' the conscience of the Pro-Life movement.
Thank God for her. 
Few may realise but that lady's legacy will change the world
Bless her name.
I do not think that Paul Priest overstated Ali's contribution to the pro-life movement and the world. On the contrary, in spite of the wisdom of his insightful remarks, I think that her contribution will one day be recognised as being greater than he anticipates.

3 comments:

  1. Who could ever forget Ali's most marvellous talks ? ..you would just sit there enthralled as Ali delivered such interesting and encouraging magnificent delivery's she told it in such a way that every word was crystal clear ..she often managed humour too to sort of lessen the blow of the horror what she was saying...Ali was in a class of her own ...I would say never to be equalled really and believe me I have heard some amazing Pro -Life talks Oh how we miss our Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali was a mother figure to me. I love and miss her so much. I really needed to read Ali's words and thoughts on suffering today. My life past and present is so difficult at times and when I feel overwhelmed and sorry for myself, I remember her saying such times and experiences are a gift. I would not compare my trials to hers - we all have different paths to follow - but she has made mine easier in the way she viewed life, and how she embraced me into hers. Ali still comforts and energizes me from another realm. With All My Love ~ Sarah Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am saddened that we have lost a Star who would guide and counsel us in allsorts of ways In defending the culture of life. But all is not lost because I feel that our dearest Ali has become our guardian angel who is still working for us. My her gentleness, help and advice never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete